If you're using DuckDuckGo Privacy Essenials, either enable "show embedded tweets", or disable the extension to view this page properly
Mobile Apps *
- Dark Sky ($3.99 USD) Want to know if it will rain in the next hour? This app will show you ...
- My Lightning Tracker (Free) Essentially up to the minute lightning alerts for anywhere on earth, just set the proximity zone and your phone will alert you if lightning is within your area, great for any outdoorsman, construction crew, roofers, lifeguard etc
- MyRadar (Free with paid add-ons) Tremendously useful and highly popular, has radar, satellite, severe weather outlooks, and local forecasts
- RadarScope ($9.99 USD) If your needing up-to-the-minute radar data as a storm chaser, or just want to have some of the best radar data available, get this app (somewhat pricey)
- RainViewer (Free with paid add-on) Weather radar not just for the US, but for much of the world (such as China, EU, Philippines, and more)
- Windy.com for Android / IOS (Free with donation request) Radar and weather maps for the EU and the US, more for the weather enthusiast (do you know the difference between the ECMWF, GFS and the NAM? If you do you will get more out of this app)
- Living Earth App ($4.99 USD) A beautifully done clock app that shows global weather phenomena such as an almost live picture of the clouds, and the local forecast for your location (provided by the aging weather underground service described below) . One of the first clock apps for mobile that thankfully continues to be maintained.
* Be aware some of these apps cost something, prices listed are as of 03/10/2019
We now have a weather blog on Facebook, Mebane Weather, check it out when you have the chance ...
- Windy.com Tons of weather maps, satellite data, US radar data, numerical model data, now with weather radar and live lightning
- Weather Underground One of the first weather sites on the internet, now owned by IBM.
- US Naval Satelite Pictures A list of some of the best global weather satellite photos
- Satellite Cloud Images from the National Aeronautic and Space Administration (NASA)
- LightningMaps.org Shows where the latest lightning is anywhere on the globe
US National Weather Service Links
- SPC Severe Weather Outlooks Delivers bulletins on severe thunderstorm potential for the US (smartphone link)
- Local Forecast The official local forecast for the US and its territories (smartphone link)
- US National Weather Service Text Products Technical bulletins, if you know weather terminology, you can read more on the science of your weather here.
- Tropical Weather New page on hurricanes and tropical weather provided by the Raleigh National Weather Service Forecast Office